Key Considerations to Keep in Mind
Consideration 1: Secure Grip
- One of those essentials you need to consider is a secure grip even under the water.
- You will discover that a pair of shoes will have excellent grip on a variety of surfaces if the soles are made from a quality rubber material.
- You should also know that soles made from rubber without a surface designed to grip and not slip might not keep you from falling.
If you want to find more about the slip resistance properties of shoes please read our article on Are Water Shoes Slip Resistant.
Consideration 2: Protection
- Another important aspect you need to remember is the level of protection that the shoes can provide you with. Remember to check the type of material used on the shoes.
- Getting the right kind of material for water shoes may entail you to spend some time searching but your time invested will be worth it.
- One popular type of material used for water shoe is mesh. Many sport enthusiasts often choose this material because it helps with water drainage from the shoe.
- It is particularly helpful with preventing hiking with wet shoes, reducing or even eliminating discomfort of wearing a wet pair of shoes which could be very annoying.
- Keep in mind the purpose of your water shoe – if you need extra durability for those hard and unforgiving terrains then mesh might not be the right choice.
Consideration 3: Maintenance
- Selecting the right kind of material makes maintenance much easier.
- Water shoes are designed to be used in wet locations but also on dry terrain, therefore they could go through a lot of damage from the different types of surfaces they are used on.
- Maintenance and cleaning after every use is recommended to extend the life of your water shoes.
Read more about how to properly maintain and clean your water shoe here: How To Clean Your Water Shoes
Consideration 4: Snuggle Fit
- In terms of fit, make sure that you have an easy time slipping the shoes on and off but without compromising on a good snuggle fit.
Consideration 5: Waterproof or water resistant
Simply put, waterproof fabrics are treated using different methods to become resistant to penetration by water. In other words, if your shoes were waterproof your feet would not get wet.
One method used for waterproofing shoes is the use of coating materials such as rubber, PVC, silicon and wax.
The treatment can be applied as part of the manufacturing process or applied separately. Some people use waterproofing spray to protect their shoes from water.
Contrary to a waterproof material, water resistance provides some form of protection but does not entirely block the penetration of water in your shoes.
Water resistant shoes are made with different types of materials than the waterproof shoes.
Water resistant materials are not less efficient than waterproof fabrics. They simply cannot sustain the same level of water pressure over longer period of time.
Think About What You Need Your Shoes For?
Those who like discovering a wider variety of terrain will have to climb in and out of the boat frequently. Their feet will need protection for rocky locations especially, so water shoes are ideal for these kinds of areas. They can help protect from abrasions, cuts, and torn nails.
The water shoe is the recommended footwear for overnight swimming excursions. Swimmers will be provided with excellent traction and protection, and users won’t have to bring another pair of footwear to adjust to land.
If you want to find more about this topic please read this article: Can You Swim With Shoes?
Made for Men or Women
Several models are also specifically designed to accommodate the individual’s requirements and preferences of men, women, and children.
- Water shoes for ladies are also lighter compared to the ones used by men or models that are unisex. However, they often provide the same level of protection and comfort.
- Water shoes made for men tend to have a chunkier or more masculine design, and they are designed with intense outdoor activities in mind.
- Pick insulated models if you plan on using them in locations or for activities that will leave you exposed to cooler waters.
- Test the grip of the shoes and guarantee that you will be comfortable while wearing the pair so your feet will still be able to breathe.
Water Shoes or Water Sandals?
You should note that in addition to water shoe you can also go for a pair of water sandals.
Water sandals offer a range of different benefits and are more suitable for many different situations – hiking, river crossing and light trekking could be some of those.
To find out more about how to choose between water shoe or water sandals visit: Water Shoes Vs Water Sandals.
Are Water Shoes Good For Hiking?
Water shoes are perfect for hiking. They offer protection, comfort and are also water resistant. They are also equipped with drainage systems so they can easily drain water, and they also offer fast-drying technology.
When hiking, you may often need to cross a river.
This is why water shoe are a great choice for wet and dry terrains. There are options for both men, women and even kids.
Important hiking features to look for
- Proper protection
- Arch support
- Durable materials
- Water resistant
- Good padding
Five Finger Water Shoes?
Five Finger Design
Five finger water shoes have a rather different design in comparison with standard water shoes. It allows every toe to be wrapped separately, instead of having all your toes in one place. The experience of wearing such shoes is so similar to walking barefoot.
Great for surfing and kayaking. While they tend to appear more fragile than standard water shoes, the five finger shoes do have what it takes to provide great protection. Extra protection is provided to the front part of your foot and for your heel because these are the parts that are most exposed and give your body the balance you need when walking.
- Dry easily
Similarities and Differences
Both fiver finger and standard water shoes offer the same degree of adherence to wet surfaces, so you don’t risk slipping on wet rocks when wearing them. Still, do have in mind that you should consider high-quality water shoes if you want to make sure that they will have the features you need and the degree of protection that will keep you safe no matter what adventures are next on your schedule.
Q: What do I need to consider when choosing a good pair of water shoe?
A: Materials, fit, durability, grip, comfort and purpose are among the main considerations when choosing a good pair of water shoes.
Q: Are waterproof or water-resistant shoes better?
A: It depends on the purpose; waterproof shoes do not allow any water entering in your shoes where is water resistant provided good drainage.
Q: What activities are water shoe suitable for?
A: Swimming, hiking, running, trekking, river crossing and rocky beach strolling are some of the many activities you can enjoy with a good pair of water shoe.
Q: How affordable is a good pair of water shoes?
A: Premium brands would be more expensive as they offer durability and great comfort. However, you can still find some great deals on Amazon.