The Best Aqua Sandals: Our Short Guide & Review
Are you a boating, kayaking or water sports enthusiast? If the answer is yes, you’re probably in the market for a new pair of aqua shoes. Also called water shoes, this footwear is specifically designed for activities that take place in or around water. This type of shoes provides traction in slippery and wet surfaces so that you feel safe and secure when you’re playing in water. In short, aqua shoes are perfect for people who expect to go in and out of the water frequently and need the benefits that they provide.
In the old days people relied on flip flops as the main choice of footwear for wet and slippery environment. However, flip flops do not provide support and traction for wet water sports. Many brands are also flimsy so they are not very durable. Aqua shoes are preferable compared to flip flops because they are safer and look better compared to flip flops.
There are many different kinds of aqua sandals. Here are some of the best choices in the market today.
Skechers Women’s Reggae-Ribbons-Open Toe Slingback Sandal
- Open-toed sling back sandals.
- Cushioned comfort footbed.
- Buckle with slide adjust side panel for a precise fit.
- Very comfortable. Great for all-day wear.
- Easy to put on and pull off.
- Limited color combinations to choose from.
- Narrow fit.
- Open toe design leaves toes vulnerable to sharp rocks.
- Not really a true aqua sandal.
OverviewSkechers is a well-known brand that manufactures good quality footwear. Aside from this, they are also known for their comfort and durability. The Reggae-Ribbons Sandal has a conventional sandal design that looks cute and feels comfortable. The footbed is cushioned making it perfect to wear all day. This pair can be worn not only in the water but in the streets too. The cute and fashionable design will look good not only in shorts and beach wear but in jeans and casual clothes too.
While cute and comfortable, this product is not a true aqua sandal. Yes, it can be worn on water and land but the open toe feature leaves your toes and feet vulnerable in rough terrain or slippery terrain. However, it is made from synthetic materials so it’s also a perfect choice for the beach or for other water activities like kayaking and boating thanks to the good traction it provides.
Teva Womens W Hurricane 4 Sport Sandal
- Nylon shank stabilizes and supports your foot on uneven terrain.
- Rugged Durabrasion Rubber outsole is extremely durable and supplies great traction.
- Anatomic footbed with Shock Pad in the heel for shock absorption and underfoot comfort.
- Hook-and-loop closure for quick adjustability and a secure fit.
- Good arch-support.
- True to size fit.
- Minimal break-in period.
- Feels light.
- Sizing is too wide especially around the toe region.
- Sandals get stinky quickly.
- Sandal is not breathable which leads to stinkiness.
- Triangular buckle can cause chafing.
If you want an aqua sandal with a classic look and design, the Teva Womens W Hurricane 4 Sport Sandal is a good choice. The anatomic footbed with Shock Pad in the heel area makes this an ideal sandal for walking on land. The water-friendly uppers as well as the quick drying materials used to make this pair also make it a good aqua sandal. Overall, this is a very good sandal. It provides good security and traction for water sports and rough terrain.
The design of the Hurricane Sport makes it a good sandal but it’s not a true aqua sandal. Just like the Reggae-Ribbons from Skechers, it is open toed so it leaves a large part of your feet vulnerable to injury in rough and slippery terrain. However, it is still a good choice for water sports and rough terrain. The toe box is adjustable to give you a more secure and customized fit.
Pali Hawaii Unisex Adult Classic Jandals Sandals
- Rubber sole.
- Made from manmade materials.
- Slip on design.
- Lots of colors to choose from.
- Breathable and quick drying.
- Easy slip on and off.
- Good for beach wear.
- Flimsy feeling materials with no arch support. Not very durable.
- Thin soles with shallow lugs not ideal for rough terrain.
- Slip on design does not feel sturdy especially in rough terrain or wet environment.
- More slipper than aqua sandals.
The Pali Hawaii Unisex Adult Classic Jandals Sandals also sometimes referred to as the Jesus sandals is a very popular footwear choice in Hawaii and it’s very easy to see why. The Sandals are made from synthetic materials so it is quick drying. It’s slip on so you can easily pull it on and off as you go in and out of the water. They are comfortable enough though this pair does not have good arch support. The sandals come in many different colors and are very affordable so you can indulge and buy as many pairs as you want.
The Jandals are more of a slipper than an actual sandal. While they look good in beach wear, using them for other water activities like rafting, kayaking and swimming might be problematic. This is due to the design of the sandal. It’s not only open-toed but it has no back sling. You are more likely to lose one or both of the sandals if you keep it on you during these activities. At best the Jandals are best for pool use or for walking around. However, they don’t have good arch support and feel flimsy so perhaps you should change into more appropriate footwear if you plan to walk all day.
Birkenstock Men’s Arizona
- 100% Birko-Flor
- Birko-Flor upper.
- Suede-covered footbed.
- Cork-latex midsole.
- Built-in arch support.
- Classic Birkenstock design.
- Good arch-support.
- Lots of designs to choose from.
- Materials used are not for water sports.
- Straps are not 100% leather.
- No traction for slippery surfaces.
Birkenstocks are one of the favorite footwear of many people because they are breathable and very comfortable. Their design is also a classic and they’re easy to put on and off. Birkenstocks look good in jeans and shorts for both men and women. They can be worn on the beach while lounging or on the deck of a boat while relaxing.
The good news is that this pair of sandals looks good for everyone. The bad news is that they are not for water sports use. These are more land sandals then aqua sandals. The materials used for Birkenstocks are mainly cork, leather and suede. This makes the sandals lightweight but suede and leather do not dry easily. The lugs on this product are also not for water use. This means that you have minimal support in slippery surfaces or rough terrain. This pair is not for “roughing it” on dirt trails or for water sports.
Northside Womens Covina Sport Open Toe Strap Sandal
- Rugged flexible upper features breathable textured nylon webbing/sporty crisscross design.
- Water resistant construction/moisture wicking materials to keep you going all day.
- Lightweight contoured EVA insole to cushion your feet.
- Nylon flex straps with adjustable hook/loop heel strap provide customized/secure fit.
- Affordable and lightweight.
- Have supportive features like adjustable heel loop for better support.
- Very comfortable footbed.
- Quick drying and breathable.
- The toe loop can feel uncomfortable and makes it hard to put on and small if you have a big toe.
- Multiple-straps can cause chafing.
- Not true to size. Can run small.
The Northside Womens Covina Sport Open Toe Strap Sandal is a good blend of light and airy. It has amazing supportive features like the adjustable heel loop with a wraparound pattern of thin webbing to hold the forefoot to give you a more secure fit. The light weight compression moulded footbed is very comfortable so you can walk on them all day. The materials are also quick-drying so it’s okay to get them wet.
This pair is very versatile and can be worn for walking and water sports. They fit securely on your feet and provide good traction on slippery surfaces and rough terrain. However, their open toe design can leave your feet and toes at risk. While they are good for walking, users should proceed with caution when wearing them in rough terrain.
Aqua sandals are plentiful in the market but the variety and different brands make choosing the best one confusing. When looking for a good aqua shoe, make sure that it has a wide array of features so that you can use it for various activities.
Good features include cushioning, arch-support, water venting and quick-drying capabilities. Selecting the best aqua shoes depends on how you intend to use them. Some shoes can have good arch-support but poor traction. Shoe B might look cute but lack quick-drying capabilities. This is why researching and reading reviews on the internet is important. It will help you narrow down aqua shoe choices.
What features do you look for in an aqua shoe? What do you think about our suggestions above? Tell us by leaving your comments below.